The name McGlashan may be familiar to you. Sara and her brother both play international cricket. Sara for the White Ferns and her brother Peter plays for the BLACKCAPS. You could say cricket runs in the blood for Sara.
Sara has been part of the White Ferns since 2002 and she got the call up to the team when she was sitting in a lecture at University. She says she was surprised to get the call up but was excited about the challenges ahead.
Sara started playing cricket against her brother in the backyard. Both have a strong competitive streak and it’s no surprise both siblings represent New Zealand in cricket.
Her biggest career highlight was being part of the Central Districts team that won the State League against Canterbury a few years ago. The CD team was considered to be the underdogs however Sara stepped up to the crease, scoring a winning 54 for the team, as well as gaining player of the match.
Not only is Sara a talented cricket player, she’s also played soccer to a high level. She played national age group soccer and was also part of the New Zealand under 19 squad.
Sara also works for New Zealand Cricket based out of Christchurch. Her role is the Nation Women’s Development Officer and her goal is to encourage more young women to get involved with the game.
- Sara is an explosive middle order batsman.
- She is one of the best judges of a run in International cricket and has excellent speed and abilities in this discipline.
- She is a fast and athletic fielder and is often involved in creating run outs.
- Sara currently works at NZC as the Women’s National Development Officer in promoting Women’s cricket.
- She is a very experienced player who was at the previous two World Cups.
Quick fire questions
1. What are three words to describe you? “Cheeky, driven and chilled out.”
2. What do you do in your spare time? “Cricket can be very full on so I enjoy relaxing and catching up with friends and family.”
3. What advice do you have for young women wanting to get into the game? “Train hard and never lose sight of that goal. We have some amazing opportunities to tour the world. It’s hard work becoming a White Fern but once you get there it’s pretty cool.”
Club: East Christchurch Shirley
Favourite ground: Bert Sutcliffe Oval
Most memorable game: Winning State League final 2005/06
Greatest influence on career: Brother, Mike Shrimpton
My favourite holiday destination is... anywhere with a beach, lake or mountain
The best advice I’ve ever received is... if you don’t try you’ll never know
My favourite meal to cook is... any type of stir fry
My favourite food to eat is... mums corn beef
My sporting hero is... Michael Jordon and Tiger Woods
When not playing cricket I love to... play a bit of soccer
When I was young I wanted to be... a teacher
My biggest claim to fame is... being captain of the Puketapu XI
If I won lotto something I would definitely buy would be... a mini cooper convertible