White Ferns batting star Sara McGlashan's latest diary entry from the ICC World Twenty20.
Diary entry three
Well its been a couple of full on days involving warm up games and trainings. We had a loss against England and a win against India.
Today we had a good training session before our opening match against Australia. The girls are hitting the ball well and bowling in good areas so I can’t wait to get the tournament under way tomorrow.
This afternoon we went to watch some of the game involving England v India. Was good to see the ground that we will be playing at tomorrow.
The crowd was quite large with the England girls getting a lot of support from the locals. There was a good atmosphere with loud music although the Yaaaaaahooo every time there is a change of bowler is a bit annoying.
A few highlights since last writing:
- The lovely facilities at Kings College. 4 turf nets and a couple of grass wickets available for warm up.
- Making the most of our gear. I think i wore every item of clothing i had against England.
- Ticking off a few of our goals against India. Mrs Watkins getting a 50 and 50+run partnership between her and Branch (Amy S).
- Taking over a pub in town to watch the BLACKCAPS take on South Africa. Was pretty cool to see my brother playing at Lords.
- Feeling important when going to trainings and games - we have police escort to and from with them stopping traffic and making other cars pull over to ensure the buses are followed. Quite entertaining as the other day a car ended up going off the exit ramp as the police car went up behind it with its lights flashing.
- Seeing the sun this morning when waking up. Today was the first day I've put sunscreen on since being here. Don’t think I'll be heading home looking any browner than the people back in NZ.
- Experiencing great hospitality when dining out. We managed 3 free bottles of wine and 6 free desserts tonight and funnily enough will look at heading back tomorrow hopefully. Not sure if thats because the food was good or that the waiter was very nice. Maybe both?!
Off to pack my bags now for tomorrows game. Hopefully its another nice warm-ish day like today.
P.S. Thanks for all your messages of support! Keep them coming....
Send the White Ferns messages of support »