Damien Martyn admits that he was 'shocked' when learning of his recall to the Australian Test team.
The Western Australian right-hander was dropped after last year's Ashes series where he averaged 19.77, and has been in moderate form since.
Martyn scored 142 runs at 23.67 in three Pura Cup matches for the Warriors, although a 51 against the Proteas in Sunday's ODI at Port Elizabeth has been proven timely.
"I didn't think I was in the running at all," Martyn told AAP.
"I hadn't really thought about it. It's a shock for me."
The classy stroke-player said that his form slump during the England tour unfortunately coincided with the team's struggles, and where once Australia could perhaps carry an out-of-form batsman, it was always going to be difficult for selectors not to wield the axe.
"My bad series (in the Ashes) came at the wrong time. It probably came at a wrong time for a lot of us," the 2005 Australian Test player of the year said.
"It was disappointing, too, because we lost and the side didn't do well we had to fall on the sword and get dropped for it."
Martyn will be fighting for the No.4 batting spot with Michael Clarke, also recalled to the side, with Victorian Brad Hodge making way after scores of 7, 24, 6 and 27 not out in Australia's past two Tests.
"I try to keep an even keel, not get too excited because I know the downside. I've got to be nice to selectors," Martyn said.